During January Tammie and I are doing some “makeovers” of favorite recipes to make them just a little bit healthier. I substituted ground turkey and reduced the breadcrumbs and found that this “meat”loaf actually tasted better!
2 ½ lbs ground turkey
1 16 oz jar of salsa (separated into two 8 oz portions)
1 large onion, chopped finely
1 teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon cumin
1 cup plain bread crumbs
- Reserve 8 oz of the salsa.
- Mix the remaining ingredients well and put in a large meatloaf pan.
- Bake at 365 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove and top with the remaining salsa.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Ground turkey is a great substitute for beef or pork. Here’s a recipe from last year for Turkey Chili.