Baking lean chicken breasts is an ideal way to serve a low-fat, yet rich in protein meal. However, chicken can get dry in the oven. I have used various coatings to help prevent this but keeping in mind that healthy also means watching sodium consumption some of my methods need adjusting. This time I blended my usual ranch dressing mix coating with whole wheat flour. You could use all-purpose flour if that is what you have on hand.
¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 oz package ranch dressing mix
2 ½ lbs chicken breasts, trimmed
cooking oil spray
- Mix the flour and dressing mix in a bowl.
- Lightly spray a cookie sheet with the oil.
- Dip each side of the chicken and lay on the sheet.
- Spray the top lightly with oil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spray the tops of the chicken lightly with oil.
- Turn chicken over and return to the oven.
- Bake for an additional 20-30 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken.
If you like ranch flavor here’s another low-fat chicken recipe – this time for the crock-pot!