This is a hearty muffin that goes well with a spread like whipped cream cheese. The sweet potato and spices give it a pleasant flavor that makes it a great snack or breakfast item.
2 large sweet potatoes
1 ¼ cup milk
1 egg, beaten
½ cup apple sauce
1 ½ cups flour
¾ cups quick oats
¼ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon salt
- Wash, peel and quarter sweet potatoes. Boil until soft and mash.
- Using a hand mixer blend 1 cup of mashed sweet potatoes with the milk, egg and apple sauce.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the potato mixture to the dry ingredients and blend until just mixed.
- Grease or line a 12 muffin pan and divide mixture evenly.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
If you love sweet potatoes try Tammie’s Sweet Potato Lefse – a recipe she created inspired by her German and Russian heritage.